"I had to dig deep within myself to really start understanding all of the injustices in the world. Having made friends at CFS who I feel will be around for life, made everything a plus. These people are like your family." -Freedom Fellow
Create a world you never thought possible.
Calling all young people ages 14-17 who identify as Black, Latina/o, Asian, Middle Eastern, Indigenous, mixed-race, and/or people of color...
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN SOCIAL JUSTICE?
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN MAKING A POSITIVE CHANGE IN YOUR COMMUNITY?
DO WANT TO BUILD NEW FRIENDSHIPS AND FAMILY WITH YOUTH YOUR AGE?
DO YOU WANT TO DEVELOP YOUR VOICE, POWER AND SKILLS TO DISMANTLE INJUSTICE?
During the Fellowship, fellows....
- Learn about the history of social movements
- Talk about current issues like racism, access to healthy food, school to prison pipeline, sexism, heterosexism, violence and peacemaking, climate change, and more
- Develop leadership and community organizing skills
- Design and lead action to make change in schools and communities
- Go on an overnight Healing Retreat
- Make friends and have fun!
The Fellowship is a 6-month program than runs from July 11-December 17, 2016. It includes:
- Summer Leadership Institute: Monday-Friday 10am-5pm, July 11 through August 5, 2016.
- Weekly after school meetings from late August to mid December (when you do your group action project)
- Fall Leadership in Action workshops once a month on Saturdays from 10am-4pm: August 27, September 17, October 15, November 19, and December 17
Fellows receive a stipend after successfully completing the program.
CTA passes and meals are provided.
The 2016 application deadline has passed. Thank you to everyone who applied!
Since 2007, 215 young people from across Chicago have gained knowledge of social justice history, community organizing skills, and strong networks to build movements for change in their communities. Freedom Fellowship Alumni continue to organize and lead policy campaigns to address issues such as criminal justice system reform, affordable housing, school reform, DREAM Act, zero-tolerance policies, food justice, gender representation in media, among others.
Questions? Contact Tony at 312-435-1201, or click the link to your right to send an e-mail.
Follow the Freedom Fellows on Twitter @CFSFreeFellows and on Instagram at CFSFreeFellows!
Truth is near just put on some glasses - Jahmil A.K.A Jahjah